Ruby and Rach: the Reuben institution


"Everything in moderation, including moderation"
-Julia Child

I flew solo on my first visit to Ruby and Rach's pop-up store at Strattons Hotel. Then, I had the Reuben ($16). Wagyu Corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and russian dressing on light rye. This was the Rolls Royce of Reubens. The humble combination of toasted rye bread crisp and greasy from the rendered wagyu fats a perfect platform for the juicy wagyu beef and sauerkraut, which was a rare edition of balanced acidity and sweetness. I tucked my feet in and rolled my eyes involuntarily as I worked my way thru the sandwich, swiping up crumbs from the table at the end of the grand affair. It was a religious experience and I savoured every moment of it.

Behind this witchery is Chef Tony Gibson, who had worked the kitchens of Marque and Four in Hand before shifting his focus and obsessive compulsions to making the perfect sandwich. Having wagyu corned beef that has been subjected to an eight-day process of sous vide cooking and brining just says it all. 

On my second visit, I brought a loved one. Only because such good things are worth sharing. Ruby and Rach was a "must-go" stop in the Sydney Eats tour, a place whose Reubens are as true to me as I am to it; where I don't glance at a menu. I don't have to.

Note: Ruby and Rach's pop-up store has moved on and their yummy sandwiches are now available at Pyrmont's farmers markets. Do stay tune to their Facebook for updates!

Ruby and Rach

2 comments:

  1. I heard so many good things about their reuben! Must try soon. Meat to sauerkraut ratio looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. This is the mother load or Reuben's so get your hands on one if you can. Not sure when that is possible though. Check out their Facebook!!!

      Delete

 

Meet Sihan

Snap Eat Love is Lee Sihan. 27 going on 28, she is a dessert enthusiast, food nomad, wanderer of lands and a pastry chef currently working in Sydney. Fueled by a lifelong addiction to all things sweet, and a burning desire to travel the globe follow her as she embarks on delicious escapades both in and out of the kitchen

Instagram Updates

Instagram