[Adelaide] Queen Street Cafe: Cushioning the fall


Throw a rock in Sydney and chances of hitting a breakfast spot is high. Throw a feather-light pebble in Adelaide, the odds are still one in a million. Not that I have gripes about finding a cafe here since this sort of fare never quite stuck to my bones; but I do appreciate a cup of coffee every now and then. (Who am I kidding, I need that EVERYDAY!)

Sadly, coffee at Queen Street Cafe was a misfit, it's watery consistency with a lack of ómph' from the extraction offering up nothing to console my morning jitters. Thank goodness for the food

Stowed away on Elizabeth street in Croydon, one would be pleasantly surprised to find a smorgasbord of options as you drive up. The menu here is modest and clever, steering the crowds towards the locally grown produce and seasonal items with blackboard tactics. I was taken by the Asparagus, scrambled eggs, haloumi and pesto on rye.($16), the vegetarian option speaking out to me with its righteous addition of haloumi into the group, tempting me with a powerful hit of nostalgia; mornings filled with charred yellow goodness topped with a splash of olive oil and flame roasted peppers. 



The Shashuka with Cacciatore and Baked eggs ($18) was a warm and comforting dish, the shashuka could have used a tad more cumin to elevate its flavors. Otherwise, it worked magic in creating many happy bellies.

My Asparagus, scrambled eggs,haloumi and pesto on rye.($16) was absolutely divine, albeit for the redundant oil slick that had occurred in a perfect circle around the rim of the plate and the limp asparagus that would never see the light of day under the strict ruling of Madame Mallory. Since the rye bread (sourced from Delicias de Portugal Bakery) was so outstanding on its own, it paved the way for the creamy scrambled eggs to shine; the browned edged haloumi slices providing welcome relief from the overall richness. I convinced myself that these were the best scrambled eggs I was going to get in Adelaide and had a good time wiping down the plate.

May return. And at the same time I'll plead you to forgo the hideous creme brulee tart from Red Door Bakery that threatened to break my teeth with its obscenely thick sugar coat. Clumsy.


Queen Street Cafe
12 Elizabeth Street
Croydon SA 5008
t: 0424 099 592

Opening Hours
Daily 8am - 4pm

Queen Street Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Sihan

Snap Eat Love is Lee Sihan. 27 going on 28, she is a dessert enthusiast, food nomad, wanderer of lands and a pastry chef currently working in Sydney. Fueled by a lifelong addiction to all things sweet, and a burning desire to travel the globe follow her as she embarks on delicious escapades both in and out of the kitchen

Instagram Updates

Instagram